Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Most, if not all my post on this blog, deal with my critiques of the current political environment. Allow me to post one non-political thread.

Football is king in Texas! Whether it's traveling the roads on Friday night to see you favorite high school team, filling Kyle Field, Royal Memorial Staidum, or Jone Stadium on Saturday, or of course watching your beloved Dallas Cowboys on Sunday--football will shape you as a Texan.

My earliest memories revolve around the Dallas Cowboys. Sundays, after church, my parents, sister and I would walk to my grandparent's house where we would eat Sunday lunch glued to the TV to watch the Cowboys take the field. My early heros were men like Tony Dorsett, Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Danny White, Randy White, and of course "the man in the hat", Tom Landry.

Somewhere around 3rd grade, the luster started to fade on the star on the helmet--a few years laters, Landry was gone . The Cowboys posted a 1-15 season the next year, but I still watched every game. Led by a young quarterback and passionite wide-out, fans caught a glimpse of the glory to come. The next year, a highly-heralded running back stopped into "Big D". The pieces were set for one of the most dominanting runs in sports history.

Three Super Bowl titles in four years, these three men restored the Cowboys to the team of glory I had known as a child.

Today, I learned that these three men--Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, and Michael Irvin will be inducted into the Cowboy's Ring of Honor at half time on September 19, when the Cowboys host the Washington Redskins. To me, the Dallas/Washington series is what the Yankees/Red Sox series is to Northeasterners. To have "The Triplets inducted into the Ring of Honor at halftime of a Washington/Dallas game on Monday Night Football is the ultimate experience. The only thing that could be better would be a 6th Lombardi Trophy being brought home to Valley Ranch at the end of the season.

How 'bout them Cowboys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home